Week 10 Reflection – Tech Edge in the Classroom

Tech EDGE is a great Ed Tech Resource for teachers who are looking for new and innovative ways to integrate iPads into their classrooms. The people of Tech EDGE have developed and published hundreds of videos and podcasts on both YouTube AND iTunes. According to their YouTube profile, they “focus on innovation in teaching, learning and teacher education.”

In this video, Tech EDGE talks about apps for English Language Learners. Check it out below!

The first app they talk about in this episode is Duolingo. This app is great for language learners because it is game-based, and it addresses every aspect of the target language – reading, writing, listening, and speaking! You can read my App Review of Duolingo here.

In this next video, Tech EDGE talks about apps for managing your classroom library!

My favorite app from this episode was Book List. With this app, you can enter your books into the database by either searching for the title, entering the ISBN code, or scanning the book’s barcode! Once the book is in your library database it even adds in a description for you! My favorite feature, however, has to be the ability to check out your books to others and keep track of them. My Book List is another great app for library management! It doesn’t have a check out feature, but it works well for organizing your books, and it includes the ability to scan barcodes.

This third video talks about great apps for student graphic organizers!

The first app, Kidspiration Maps, is a little pricy (download the free Lite version here), but it’s a great resource for student learning! Students can create all different kinds of graphic organizers, and they can even choose from over 1400 stickers and symbols to insert into their organizer! In addition, they can also import photos of their own and record audio. One thing I really love about this app is the built-in organizers and activities for subjects such as Reading, Writing, Social Studies, Science, and Math!

The second app, Stick Around, is unique because not only does it have lots of options for graphic organizers, it also gives you the option of turning them into fun activities! This would be a fun way to get students engaged in higher order thinking and peer learning.

Verdict: Overall, the Tech EDGE YouTube channel is a great place to find educational resources to enhance student learning and incorporate technology into your classroom! I will definitely be using some of these apps in my classroom!